Lord Crewe’s Charity

lord crewe's charity logo

Lord Crewe’s Charity was established under the terms of the will of Nathaniel Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham (from 1675 to 1721), to distribute the income from his estates in the North East of England for the benefit of necessitous clergy in the ancient Diocese of Durham.

Over the course of the last three hundred years or so, the charity has made a major contribution to the North East of England as it has interpreted the wishes of its founder in a changing world. At the same time it has reinvented itself to meet current needs. In the past this has involved rebuilding the medieval village of Blanchland; commissioning and operating the world’s cheapambienpriceonline.com first lifeboat; building North Sunderland (Seahouses) harbour; and setting up and running a miniature welfare state based on Bamburgh Castle, including schools, a dispensary, a granary, a fog gun to warn sailors and accommodation for those who had been shipwrecked.

The Religious Resources Centre is grateful to the Lord Crewe’s Charity for its grants which support the Archdeacon Sharp Collection & the academic journals held at our Percy Main site.

The Lord Crewe’s Charity owns a second Archdeacon Sharp Collection (held at Durham Cathedral Library) and the Bamburgh Library (split between Durham Cathedral Library and Durham University’s Palace Green Library).

Back to Our Partner Oganisations page

Search Our Catalogue:


log in button

Search Our Website:

Our Facebook:

On 12th March from 1.30pm – 5.00pm Phil Togwell will be running a series of Prayer Spaces in Schools training sessions in Gateshead, including,..

1 likes, 0 comments17 hours ago

Our Twitter:

living wage logo

We Are Proud to Be a:

Flagship Graduate Badge

We Are Members of:

frec logo


abtapl logo